Screw Conveyor Advantages
The screw conveyor is one of the most cost-effective methods for transporting bulk materials. Screw conveyors are used in thousands of applications in almost every industry.
The screw conveyor has many benefits over other types of bulk material handling equipment. Some of the advantages are:
- Screw conveyors are capable of handling a great variety of bulk materials from sluggish to free-flowing.
- Screw conveyors can have multiple inlet and discharge points. Bulk materials can be conveyed and distributed to various locations as required. Slide gates or valves can be added to control the flow into and out of a screw conveyor.
- When a screw conveyor is used as a metering device, it is considered a screw feeder. Screw feeders are used to initiate a material process by metering product from a bin or hopper.
- Screw conveyors are very compact and adaptable to congested locations. Screw conveyors do not have a return similar to a belt or drag conveyor.
- Screw conveyors are totally enclosed to contain the product and prevent spillage. Screw conveyors can be utilized in the horizontal, vertical or any inclined position depending upon the characteristics of the product being conveyed.
- Screw conveyors can be used for mixing various products together and for breaking up large lumps.
- Screw conveyors can be designed without a center pipe. This type of conveyor is called a shaftless screw conveyor and is designed for conveying wet, sticky, sluggish products such as industrial sludges and biosolids.
- Screw conveyors can be used to cool, heat or dry products in transit. Depending on the heat transfer requirements, a screw conveyor can be jacketed, or a hollow-flight design utilized to provide the necessary heat transfer for the application.
- Screw conveyors can be designed to be vapor-tight or hold an internal pressure. This is very important when conveying toxic or hazardous products such as those in the chemical industry.
- Screw conveyors can provide an air lock between upstream and downstream equipment.